Sausage Stuffing Balls
What a great little idea these are; a great way to cook and present your sausage stuffing for Christmas or any roast dinner for that matter. Plus there’s no reason why you can’t experiment with different meats and herbs to fill them. We also highly recommend our Christmas recipe for Devils on Horse Back with Chipotle Honey.
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, Gas 4).
- Cut the tops off the onions around 2cm (¾in) down. Cut off the other end to leave a nice flat surface, cutting about 5mm (¼in) up.
- Arrange the onions in a roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Once cool, squeeze out the centre of the onions leaving the 2 outer layers. Finely chop the onion centres.
- Gently fry the chopped onions with the breadcrumbs, chipotle chilli paste, sage and butter for 10 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly, then mix well with the sausage meat.
- Fill the hole in each onion with this mixture and return to the oven for another 30 minutes.
- If the outer layer has slightly dried out, gently peel this away to reveal a tender layer beneath for serving.
Feel free to experiment with different flavour combos for the stuffing. Add your favourite spice mix for something a little different.