Pork Belly Tacos
If you’ve been craving some really tasty tacos lately and there aren’t any good options around, plus you love a good cooking project then this is it!
For this recipe we have slowly cooked pork belly in beer and spices until tender, then coated it in a delicious and spicy marinade (using our Chipotle Paste). It then gets crisped up in a very hot pan, chopped up into carnitas-like chunks ready to be enjoyed with warm Soft Taco Wraps. How does that sound?
We recommend making this on the weekend or when you have a little bit of extra time. It’s one of those recipes that you have to enjoy the process as well as the final inevitable step when you get to eat them!
So pour yourself a little something, put that music on, and get cooking! We guarantee that the results will be 100% enjoyed!
If you love pork be sure to check out our Mexican Pork Recipes blog which has lots of yummy cooking inspiration, with everything from Slow Cooker Pulled Pork, Twice Cooked Sticky Pork Belly and juicy pork filled burritos, nachos and enchiladas.
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Cut your pork belly into small pieces with a very sharp knife. Add them into a pan with very hot oil, with the rind facing down to start with. Make sure they are browned all the way round, then remove your pan from the heat.
- Add half of the beer into a baking dish, then the stock, peeled garlic cloves, bay leaves, spring onions, black peppercorns and coriander. Place all of your browned meat into the liquid, and cover the baking dish with tin foil, wrapping it tightly.
- Reduce the temperature of your oven to 160°C/320°F and place your pork belly in the middle of the oven. Cook for 2 hours and add the rest of the beer half way through the cooking.
- In the meantime in a medium-sized bowl add the Chipotle Paste, orange juice, lime juice, red chilli and olive oil. Mix everything with a spoon and set aside.
- Take your pork belly out of the oven, and remove it from the cooking liquid. Place it into the chipotle mixture.
- Prepare a frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Once your oil is very hot add the pork belly and juices into the pan. Turn them around from time to time until they get lovely and caramelised.
- Remove the pan from the heat. On a chopping board cut all of your pork into bite size pieces and then reserve.
- Warm up the Soft Taco Wraps and serve with the awesome pork belly. Garnish with finely diced red onion, fresh coriander, a good amount of Tomatillo Salsa and a squeeze of lime. Enjoy!