Mexican Macaroni Cheese
The ultimate comfort food just got more comfortable! To make this spicy Mexican mac n cheese we added some smoky chilli heat with our chipotle paste, then topped it with chunks of chorizo and chopped spring onions. Super easy and super delicious.
Serve this Mexican Macaroni Cheese with a green salad and if you have any of the mac n cheese left over you could make these epic deep-fried macaroni cheese balls.
1 hour 10 mins
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, Gas 4).
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the macaroni. Boil for 10 minutes and then drain. Run the cooked macaroni under cold water to cool, then drizzle with a little olive oil to prevent it sticking together.
- Meanwhile, make a roux. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour. Stir until you have a paste and cook for approximately 10 minutes over a low heat (taking care not to burn it). The mix should get a bit darker.
- Add the garlic and chipotle paste and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, getting rid of any lumps. Continue cooking until it comes almost to the boil and thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Reserve a handful of the Cheddar and add the remaining Cheddar and the Parmesan.
- Gradually stir in the macaroni and half the chorizo.
- Spoon everything into a large ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the reserved grated cheese and chorizo, then the tomato and mozzarella. Bake for 40 minutes until golden.
- Sprinkle over sliced spring onion and serve with a mixed green salad.