For this Mexican Chicken Stew recipe, just throw everything into a pot, including our Chipotle Paste, and let it cook slowly for a few hours. You get the best results when you use a slow cooker, but this Mexican stew can be prepared in a cast-iron pot too.
This is one of those Mexican chicken recipes where the meat will fall apart and the big Mexican flavours will blend together to make something really special. It’ll also be one of the easiest stews you’ll ever cook! Certainly one to try. For more slow ‘n’ low recipes, check out our blog on Slow Cooker Mexican Recipes.
How to make it
- In a slow cooker or a large saucepan with a lid, add: the chicken, sweetcorn, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, Chipotle Paste, onion, oil, garlic, sugar, oregano, salt, pepper and coriander stalks. Mix well.
- Put the lid on and cook on low heat for about 3–4 hours.
- When the chicken pulls apart easily, shred the meat with the help of two forks and mix it all in with the juices. Add the Cantina Beans and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve warm, and add the remaining coriander on top.
- Enjoy your Mexican Chicken Stew served with lime wedges, steamed white rice, avocado slices and warm Soft Taco Wraps on the side.
You can use either bone-in or bone-out chicken. If using bone-in, you’ll simply need to remove these at the end (the chicken will literally fall off so this will be easy). Using bone-in thighs has the advantage of extra flavour.
What To Serve With Mexican Chicken Stew
We recommend serving our Mexican Chicken Stew with a side of:
Similar Recipes You Might Like to Try
How many calories in chicken stew?
Around 240 calories in 12oz, assuming it has lots of veggies and also either potatoes or beans.
Which beans should I substitute if I can't find Cantina Beans?
Kidney Beans or tinned Black Beans