Hasselback Chilli Chicken Parmigiana
Earlier this year, I was lucky enough to travel down to Australia to meet the crew at Product Distribution. They are our amigos who import and sell Gran Luchito in Oz.
Visiting Melbourne, I was taken out for lunch for a Chicken Parmigiana which I gather is a bit of a local speciality. It wasn’t really a dish I’d tried before and I have to say it was beyond delicious. I promised my hosts, that on my return I would give this mighty dish a Gran Luchito makeover.
To make it extra special we decided to combine a Chicken Parmigiana recipe with a Hasselback Chicken recipe.
The result, Gran Luchito Hasselback Chilli Chicken Parmigiana. A bit of a mouthful to say, but a recipe I promise will give you oodles of pleasure.
1 hour 30 mins
How to make it
- Heat about 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan, add the breadcrumbs and fry, stirring, for a few minutes until golden. Leave to cool.
- Stir in the Parmesan and parsley.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a clean frying pan over a low–medium heat. Add the onion and fry, stirring regularly, for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic, chipotle chilli paste, tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar and water. Stir and cook for at least 1 hour. It should be thick and rich by the end (if it gets too thick, add a little water). Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chicken breasts. Make a row of incisions about 3cm (1¼in) apart all along the chicken, cutting almost all the way through to the other side. Place in an ovenproof dish side-by-side.
- Once the tomato sauce is ready, blitz in a food processor until smooth.
- Slice the mozzarella ball into 5mm (¼in) slices and halve each slice. Add one half to each incision in the chicken followed by half a slice of chorizo. Use any left over to fill (bigger cuts even more).