Uses Chipotle Honey
Deep Fried Mac n Cheese Balls
Mac ‘n’ cheese is all about indulgence. But how can you make an already very indulgent dish even more so? Deep-fry it! Ideally, these deep fried mac n cheese balls should be served nice and hot but you can also pop them in a Tupperware and they make awesome little picnic snacks or even take them to work for lunch! Our top tip is to double-coat the mix before frying to give the deep fried balls of deliciousness a crispy finish that won’t split in the hot oil.
Having wet hands when shaping balls will make it much easier.
1 hour 45 mins
How to make it
- Cook the macaroni in a pan of salted water for about 8 minutes until al dente. Drain, then toss with a splash of olive oil to prevent it sticking together.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the flour. Stir to a paste and cook for about 10 minutes over a low heat, stirring and taking care not to burn it, until the mix darkens slightly.
- Add the garlic and chipotle paste and cook for another 10 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk, getting rid of any lumps. Stir in the cheeses until melted.
- Mix the pasta with the cheese sauce. Season to taste and allow the mixture to cool.
- Once cool, wet your hands, then form the mixture into golfball-sized spheres and set aside.
- Prepare three bowls: one with 2 beaten eggs, one with plain flour and one with breadcrumbs. Coat each ball in the flour, then in the beaten egg, then in the breadcrumbs. Then repeat the egg and breadcrumb stages. Put in the fridge to firm up for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or heavy-based pan to 150°C (300°F), or when a piece of bread sizzles when dropped
- Add the balls in batches and cook until golden.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with chipotle ketchup as a dip.
Have you tried these recipes?
Uses Chipotle Paste