Deep Fried Chicken Wings
Here’s a wonderful recipe for deep-fried chicken wings with a deliciously sticky, spicy, smoky sauce.
In the Luchito test kitchen, we didn’t stop eating these until they were all gone – they are seriously addictive.
How to make it
- Mash the ginger and garlic to a paste in a pestle and mortar.
- Put the paste in a saucepan with the sesame oil, soy sauce, chipotle chilli paste, chipotle chilli honey, vinegar and brown sugar. Cook over a medium heat for a few minutes until it becomes thick and sticky.
- Put the flour, corn flour and 3 tablespoons of the sesame seeds in a bowl.
- Dry the wings with paper towel and toss in the flour mix.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or large, heavy-based pan to 160°C (325°F), or when a piece of bread sizzles when dropped in.
- In batches of 5 or 6, carefully lower the wings into the oil, moving them gently using a slotted spoon. Cook for about 6–7 minutes or until the wings start to turn brown.
- Remove and allow to drain on a rack over kitchen paper.
- Increase the temperature of your fryer to 180°C (350°F).
- Again, working in batches, lower the wings into the oil for a second cook for a further 4–5 minutes. You will see them get crispier and turn a nice golden shade.
- Drain on kitchen paper, then add to the warm sauce.
- Toast remaining sesame seeds in a dry pan for a few minutes, then sprinkle over the wings with the coriander.