Chorizo & Winter Veg Enchiladas
Enchiladas have to be one of the most popular Mexican comfort foods. Our Chorizo and Winter Veg Enchiladas are full of flavour and a crowd pleaser sure to bring joy and warmth to your family table. Enchiladas are great for special occasions as they are great to feed a crowd and can be made ahead.
Our Soft Taco Wraps wraps make the perfect wrap for these enchiladas, there is no need to warm them up before rolling as they come soft and malleable straight out of the packet.
The filling is made using seasonal winter vegetables, but you can prepare this recipe all year round and adapt your veggies to what is in season. Winter veggies are fried with chorizo, onion, garlic and seasoned with our Smoky Chipotle Fajita and Taco Mix – a match made in Mexican heaven!
Once you wrap the enchiladas up they are ready to be covered in the red enchilada sauce prepared with Chipotle Paste.
Use the luscious bright red sauce and pour it over your enchiladas, the last touch is to add the grated cheese on top and place your baking dish into the oven until the cheese creates a beautiful melted golden layer.
We like to serve these enchiladas with a crisp green salad. If you love enchiladas then be sure to check out favourite enchilada recipes.
How to make it
- Begin by preparing the enchilada sauce, heat up the oil in a sauce pan then add the garlic and onion, fry gently. Add the chipotle paste, tomato paste, smoked paprika and stir continuously, cook the Chipotle Paste for a minute or two.
- Finally add the chopped tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf and season with salt and pepper, cover with a lid and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime start preparing your enchilada filling. In a large frying pan heat up the oil and fry the chorizo, onion and garlic, then add the butternut squash, sweet potato and swede, season with Smoky Chipotle Fajita and Taco Mix, a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper stir and let it cook for a minute or two.
- Then add into your veggie and chorizo mixture 1 cup of the enchilada sauce and the chicken stock, cover and let it simmer on a medium temperature until your vegetables are cooked through.
- Remove the remaining enchilada sauce from the heat and place it on a blender, blend smooth and reserve.
- Once your filling is ready, prepare a baking dish big enough to fit 10 enchiladas, then add a bit of enchilada sauce on the bottom and spread it.
- Open your Soft Taco Wraps and add a generous amount of winter veg chorizo filling, roll and then place in the oven dish, repeat the same process with the rest of the tortillas and filling.
- Once all your enchiladas are in the baking dish pour the remaining enchilada sauce over, making sure they are well coated in the sauce . Finally add the grated cheese and season with freshly ground black pepper, bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until they are pipping hot and your cheese melts.
- Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche and freshly chopped coriander on top, enjoy!