Uses Chipotle Honey
Chipotle Potato Gratin
This chipotle potato gratin recipe is so good. Forget other recipes, this is the one! It’s rich, cheesy, spicy, smoky, crispy, creamy and all kinds of delicious. Sides don’t get much better than this.
Check out these other recipe ideas for delicious sides.
1 hour 30 mins
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, Gas 6).
- Heat a little olive oil and half the butter in a large frying pan over a low–medium heat and cook the shallots with the garlic, bay leaves, thyme leaves and chipotle chilli paste for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the milk, cream, chicken stock and Parmesan rind (see Chef’s tip).
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for a few minutes. Remove the Parmesan rind and bay leaves and add about a quarter of the grated Parmesan.
- In a saucepan, cover the potato discs in boiling water and leave for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Grease a large ovenproof dish with remaining butter and add the potatoes. Pour the sauce over the top, mix well and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan and chopped spring onions.
- Lightly oil a piece of kitchen foil to cover the dish, then bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and continue to cook until the top is golden and crispy. For extra crispiness, finish under the grill.
Unlike many other cheeses, Parmesan ‘rind’ is just dried cheese. Add it whole to sauces to impart its flavour.
Have you tried these recipes?
Uses Chipotle Paste