Chicken Tinga Tacos
Tinga de Pollo or Chicken Tinga comes from the city of Puebla in Mexico. This typical Mexican chicken recipe is made with only a few ingredients which makes it perfect for everyday meals!
The way that chicken tinga is prepared is by poaching chicken with a piece of onion, garlic cloves, bay leaves and black peppercorns. Once cooked you let the chicken cool down and you shred it either with your hands or with the help of two forks. Sliced white onions are then fried in a bit of olive oil until translucent. The shredded chicken goes into the pan and finally, a tinga sauce made out of a mixture of tomatoes, garlic, onion and chipotle is added to let it simmer for 10 minutes. Season to your taste and serve with warm Soft Taco Wraps and slices of avocado. It results in a very hearty and delicious meal!
Here at Gran Luchito, we have done all the work preparing the lovely Tinga Taco Simmer Sauce for you, so you can make this authentic chicken tinga recipe for your family and friends in no time.
How to make it
- If using raw chicken, firstly poach the chicken breasts into a medium saucepan, with ½ white onion, the bay leaf, black peppercorns and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil then simmer on medium heat until cooked, (20 min approx).
- Once ready, remove your chicken from the heat and from the cooking liquid. Shred the chicken with the help of two forks and set aside. You can save the stock for other recipes.
- In a large frying pan fry the sliced onions until soft.
- Add the chicken to the pan with the onions, and pour over a sachet of Tinga Taco Simmer Sauce, cook for 5 mins.
- Season to taste and finish your dish with freshly chopped coriander on top.
- Warm up the Soft Taco Wraps, add a good amount of chicken tinga into your tortillas, a slice of avocado, a spoonful of sour cream, and a wedge of lime on the side. These tacos are especially good when served with Tomatillo Salsa.
What To Serve With Chicken Tinga Tacos
If you are wondering what to serve with this chicken tinga taco recipe, why not go for some:
If it’s a smaller side dish you are after:
More About Tacos
Our How To Make Tacos blog will help you to master everything you need to know about making homemade Tacos. And our Taco Recipes is our collection of tried and tested Taco recipes with more flavours, protein and veggie options. For further inspiration on side dishes, check out our blog on What To Serve With Tacos.
Similar Recipes You Might Like to Try
What is tinga?
A tinga is really a stew, prepared in a special way. It contains tomatoes, onion, garlic, smoky chipotle, oregano, bay leaf and thyme, as well as a sweet touch from the piloncillo sugar if you're able to find it.
Is chicken tinga healthy?
Yes! Chicken is a lean protein, and the rest of the ingredients are super fresh. Feel free to wrap these in lettuce if you want to keep them low carb. They can also easily be modified to be both dairy-free and paleo if you omit the sour cream. The sauce is dairy and gluten-free, with no added sugar.