Buttermilk Fried Chicken
We spent a few days in the Luchito test kitchen getting this buttermilk fried chicken developed to perfection. If you want tender strips of chicken encased in a perfectly crisp batter with a chipotle chilli kick, this one is for you.
To get this fried chicken to perfection the key is to add a little of the buttermilk marinade to the flour mix to give your final strips that awesome knobbly texture.
We served the chicken with a tasty chipotle honey mustard dipping sauce and it made us very happy. We reckon that these chilli con carne balls will make the perfect accompaniment to the fried chicken.
24 hour 20 mins
How to make it
- Cut the chicken breasts into strips.
- Mix the buttermilk, chipotle chilli paste, a generous pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add the chicken strips and leave to marinate for an hour or, if you have the time, overnight in the fridge.
- Once ready to cook, in another mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add a few tablespoons of the buttermilk marinade and mix until the flour goes all clumpy. This will create nice crispy nuggets of breadcrumb.
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Take one chicken strip at a time and coat completely in the flour mixture. Carefully lay on the baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken is coated.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or heavy-based pan to 180°C (350°F), when a cube of bread sizzles when dropped in.
- Carefully add the chicken strips in batches of about 5, moving them gently for 3–4 minutes until they are golden all over. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Mix together all the dip ingredients.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the parsley. Then serve with the honey mustard dip.