Transport yourself to a sunny coastal town in Baja California, Mexico, with our Baja Fish Tacos recipe! This has to be one of our favourite taco recipes and we created this one especially for you to make in the comfort of your own home.
Fresh fish fillets are covered in a light batter made with Chipotle Paste, beer and flour. They are then deep-fried until crispy and golden. Serve this fish taco recipe with warm corn tortillas, topped with crunchy vegetables, a touch of fresh lime and a good amount of Chipotle Mayo. Such a delicious combination of flavours and textures.
Now if you have time for a completely authentic Mexican experience, we recommend trying to make your own corn tortillas at home. Having said that, if you’d like a more practical option you can also use our Soft Taco Wraps.
A meaty fish such as cod, haddock or halibut works brilliantly for this fish tacos recipe. Remember the main goal for these Baja tacos is to achieve perfectly cooked fish with a light and delicious crispy coating. With that in mind, make sure that your oil is very hot before frying your fish.
How to make it
- Prepare the batter by adding into a bowl: 1 cup of the flour, the Chipotle Paste, baking powder and beer. Whisk until you get a smooth mixture, and set aside.
- Season your fish fillets with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the remaining flour into a bowl and dust your pieces of fish. Once ready place them on a baking tray and set them aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat to 190°C (375°F). When a small piece of fish dropped into the oil bubbles on contact, it means it’s ready.
- Dip each piece of dusted fish in the batter, then carefully place it into the hot oil. Do this in batches so as not to overfill the frying pan. Fry until crispy and golden.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon and drain them on kitchen paper while you fry the remaining fish.
- In a small bowl whisk together the Chipotle Mayo and the juice of 1 lime.
- In a different bowl add the cabbage, spring onion and coriander. Add the juice of 1 lime, extra virgin olive oil, season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Serve your warm tortillas with a piece of fried fish, and top with the cabbage mixture. Add a good drizzle of Chipotle Mayo and freshly chopped coriander. Enjoy!
To make the corn tortillas:
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon to form the “masa” (dough), and knead briefly.
- Heat up a non-stick pan.
- Form masa balls with your hands.
- Then using a tortilla press and two plastic films press your masa into a tortilla shape.
- Place in the hot pan a minute or less on each side and keep them warm by wrapping them in a tea towel.