Peel onions, chop off top and bottom
Roast onions with salt and pepper seasoning
Remove inner layers of softened onion, put aside for now
Finely dice the removed middles of the onions
Fry the chopped onions, breadcrumbs, sage, Gran Luchito chilli paste and butter together
add onion mix to sausage meat
Fill each outer layer of onion with the mix
Peel away any dried out layers
How to make it
- Peel the onions and cut the tops off around 2cm down. You can also cut off the other end to leave a nice flat surface (cut this about 1cm up).
- Arrange the onions in a roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper. Roast for around 25mins at 175C.
- Once softened, remove from the oven and leave to cool. Once cool, squeeze out the centre of the onions leaving 2 outer layers. Retain the removed onion and chop finely.
- Gently fry the chopped onions with breadcrumbs, Chipotle paste and butter until nicely combined and golden (10mins).
- Leave to cool slightly, then combine with the sausage meat.
- Fill the hole in each onion with this mixture and return to the oven for another 30mins.
- If the outer layer is slightly dried out, gently peel this away to reveal a tender layer beneath for serving.
Tried this recipe? Got suggestions? Let us know...