Toast peppercorns, allspice berries, cloves and cumin
Empty into pestle & mortar
Blitz oregano, Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste, orange juice, spices, olive oil, onion, garlic, salt & pepper
Add marinade & cook low & slow
Prepare salsa with tomato, pickled onions & coriander
Fry tortillas until crispy
Serve pork on top of tortillas with salsa on top
How to make it
- (refer to pics below for a visual guide)
- You’ll need to leave the pork marinating for as long as possible (overnight is ideal) so start with this.
- Heat the allspice, cumin, peppercorns and cloves in a warm dry frying pan for 1 minute (take care not to burn).
- Crush the warmed spices in a pestle & mortar and add to a food processor with the turmeric, onion, garlic, white wine vinegar, Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste, oregano, orange juice, salt and olive oil. Blend to a smooth consistency.
- Pour over the pork pieces and leave in the fridge for at least a few hours (overnight if possible).
- Once sufficiently marinated, remove the pork and transfer marinade to an oven-proof casserole dish with a lid (if you don’t have one, just use foil to cover tightly).
- Heat a frying pan with a little olive oil. Once very hot, add the chunks of pork. Your primary concern here is to give it some colour which will mean more flavour later. Don’t move it around too much, just let it brown on one side, then flip them over for a while. Return back into the marinade. Add butter.
- Leave in the oven for 3-4 hours on a relatively low heat (130C). It is vitally important that it is covered so no liquid can escape through evaporation, as this will dry out the pork.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl and setting aside.
- To prepare the tacos, heat the oil in a shallow frying pan until very hot. Carefully lower the tortillas into the oil. Cook one at a time. Once crispy, turn over and cook the other side. Remove and leave to dry on kitchen towel.
- Once ready, the pork will pull apart very easily (if it’s not, continue cooking…don’t settle for less than awesome!). If ready, shred it with 2 forks.
- Ideally you’ll now leave it to cool and soak up the lovely juices.
- Spoon onto the crispy tacos and top with the salsa.
Tried this recipe? Got suggestions? Let us know...