Brown oxtail in a hot pan
Make sure it gets brown all over
Fry carrots, celery, onion, garlic, Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste, bay leaves, salt & pepper
Add everything to a slow cooker
Add enough water to cover the meat
Cook on low for about three hours (or until meat is falling off bones)
Use sieve to remove vegetables (discard bay leaves)
Blend vegetables until smooth and return to liquid
Remove meat and pick from bones and return to stew (discard bones)
Serve with shredded cabbage, sliced radish, lime wedges and fresh coriander
How to make it
- Heat a large pan over a high heat and add the vegetable oil until shimmering.
- Carefully add the oxtail, or whatever meat you’re using.
- Cook briefly on each side and get as much of the surface a nice dark brown.
- Remove the meat and set aside.
- Clean pan and place over medium heat.
- Add a little olive oil, along with the roughly diced celery, onion and carrots. Also add the bay leaves, Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste and a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Stir and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and meat to the slow cooker (if you don’t have a slow cooker, just use a large pan with a lid over a very low heat on the hob).
- Add water until the contents are submerged. Stir and set heat to low.
- Cook for about 3 hours, or until the meat is literally falling off the bone.
- Use a sieve to remove the vegetables and meat. Remove fat from the top of liquid with a spoon and discard.
- Pick meat from bones, breaking into small chunks and keep separate. Discard bones.
- Place vegetables in a blender (discard bay leaves) and blitz until smooth.
- Return blended vegetables and meat to liquid. Heat when ready to serve.
- Serve with shredded white cabbage, sliced radish, roughly chopped fresh coriander, wedges of lime to squeeze and a little salt & pepper.
Tried this recipe? Got suggestions? Let us know...