Brown lamb mince on a high heat and discard fat. Add Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste and flour.
Add chopped carrot, onion, garlic, rosemary and celery. Reduce heat and cook for Ten mins.
Add tomatoes, reduce heat and cook with a lid slightly ajar for an hour (minimum).
Peel, cut and boil potatoes in salted water until tender.
Mash potato with Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Mayo, butter, salt & pepper.
Assemble the shepherds pie with lamb mix on bottom
Top with mashed potato and knob of butter.
Cook The Mexican Shepherds Pie in a pre heated oven for about twenty five mins.
How to make it
- Fry the lamb mince on a high heat until nicely browned (this will add to the flavour). Remove any fat with a spoon or dab with kitchen paper.
- Add the smoked chipotle chilli paste and plain flour. Stir well.
- Stir in the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and rosemary. Reduce the heat and gently fry together for another 10 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, stock and seasoning. Bring to the boil and then simmer (with lid slightly ajar) for an hour (or longer if possible), stirring occasionally to prevent it from catching at the bottom.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, Gas 6).
- Carefully top the lamb with the mashed potato, using a spatula. Add tiny knobs of butter all over the top of the potato.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden on top (take care not to burn it). If you want the top crispy, pop it under a hot grill for a few minutes.
Tried this recipe? Got suggestions? Let us know...