Cut whole corn cobs in half and coat it olive oil, salt & pepper
Cook them on the barbecue until golden
Combine feta cheese, lime zest, coriander, Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Mayo, sour cream, lime juice, salt and pepper
Pour over cooked corn halves
Spread all over (get your hands in there!)
Place in Big Green Egg and bake until nicely bubbling on top
Squeeze over fresh lime juice and scatter over coriander
Made this baked Mexican elotes recipe? If so we would love to hear what you thought!
How to make it
- First of all, light your Big Green Egg and get it to a steady 180C (you’ll need the top gasket daisy wheel fully open, with the main sliding section closed, and the bottom vent about 2 fingers width open). Set up with the plate setter with its legs up and the cast iron grill on top.
- While that’s getting to temperature, start thinking about your corn. Brining corn doesn’t do anything, in fact it will take moisture out of the corn, so don’t worry about that. Simply cut each ear of corn into nicely sized portions (we think cutting an ear into 2 is good), and rub them all over with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Once your Big Green Egg is at temperature, place the corn on the grill and lower the lid. Take a look every 5 minutes or so and turn when golden and starting to char on the bottom.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, add the sour cream, Gran Luchito Chipotle Mayo, feta, finely grated lime zest, lime juice, a handful of chopped fresh coriander, salt and pepper. Mix well, taste and adjust seasoning (you could add a little Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste if you want to up the spice & smoke levels).
- Once deliciously golden all over and slightly charred in places, remove the corn and lower the lid. Increase temperature to 200C by opening the bottom vent another finger’s width (3 fingers in total).
- Place cooked corn into lid of cast iron dutch oven and pour over sauce. Take care to burp your Egg when working at these temperatures. Use a wooden spoon to mix them all around and get them completely covered in the sauce, trying to keep plenty on top of the corn, before returning to the Big Green Egg to bake for 15 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve with wedges of lime and roughly chopped coriander sprinkled over the top.
Tried this recipe? Got suggestions? Let us know...