Combine pancetta with Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste with onion and oregano
Mix spicy onions with breadcrumbs and minced meat
Roll into balls and refrigerate
Cant balls in half and arrange in middle of puff pastry squares
Bake until golden and gooey
How to make it
- Firstly, combine the breadcrumbs with the milk and stir. Leave to soak in while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cook pancetta until cooked through. Place on a chopping board and chop finely before returning to the pan. Lower the heat.
- Add the onion and garlic to a food processor (alternatively just grate them).
- Add onion and garlic to the pancetta, along with oregano and Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste. Stir and cook for about 7-8 mins.
- Add a splash of water, stir and continue to cook until evaporated (5-6 mins). Leave to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the pancetta mixture with the soaked breadcrumbs, the minced beef and pork, parsley and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix well (with your hands preferably) and form into small balls (approx. 1inch in diameter). Pile on a plate and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 200C
- Remove from the fridge. Using a sharp knife, cut each ball in half.
- Lay out the puff pastry sheet and cut into 4 even squares (if you’re working with a rectangle then make 4 squares as big as possible and make some cheese straws with the excess!)
- Lay the meatball halves diagonally along the middle of the pastry (see pics below), leaving 2 corners free to fold over.
- Lay 2 slices of cheese on top and sprinkle with a little black pepper.
- Fold over the spare corners and pinch together in the middle.
- Beat egg with a little milk and brush exposed pastry with a little egg wash.
- Sprinkle with a little more pepper and a little salt, Place on a parchment-lined baking tray and place in oven until puffed up and golden (about 15 minutes).
Tried this recipe? Got suggestions? Let us know...