Slice peeled potatoes into thin discs
Fry red onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme & Gran Luchito Chipotle Chilli Paste in butter & olive oil
Cook until onion is softened
Add chicken stock, milk and cream then bring to the boil
Add potatoes and empty into oven dish
Top with parmesan and spring onions then bake for an hour
finish under grill until golden and crispy
How to make it
- Pre-heat oven to 200C.
- Slice shallots into rings and fry with finely chopped garlic, butter, a lug of olive oil, 2 bay leaves, chopped thyme leaves & Gran Luchito Chipotle Paste for 15 mins on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, peel and slice potatoes into discs approximately 3mm thick.
- Add full fat milk & double cream, as well as the rind from the parmesan if you have it (unlike other cheeses, parmesan ‘rind’ is exactly the same as the rest, it’s just dried out). This will impart a lovely rich flavour.
- Dissolve the stock cube in a very small amount of boiling water and stir into the mix.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for a few mins. Remove parmesan rind and bay leaves and add about ¼ of the grated parmesan.
- Add potatoes and mix well.
- Pour into buttered oven dish, sprinkle over remaining parmesan and chopped spring onions, cover with oiled foil and place in oven at 200C.
- Bake for 1 hour then remove foil and continue to cook until top is golden and crispy. For extra crispiness, finish under the grill. Serve with roast chicken, or other meat, fish etc.
Tried this recipe? Got suggestions? Let us know...