Pozole Soup Recipe
Pozole is traditionally made using hominy, a type of maize that’s common in Latin America. We couldn’t lay our hands on any so we made our own version using chickpeas instead, along with our chipotle chilli paste. Although they can’t really be compared to hominy, they gave the dish a delicious bite. Feel free to try this with either, depending on what you can get hold of. Pozole is also often made with pork, but we went with beef, specifically oxtail to make what is essentially a really rich beef stew. So this is very loosely based on pozole but incredibly tasty nonetheless.
Check out our other delicious Mexican recipes & ideas.
How To Make
Brown oxtail in a hot panMake sure it gets brown all over
Fry carrots, celery, onion, garlic, Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste, bay leaves, salt & pepper
Cook until softened
Add everything to a slow cookerAdd enough water to cover the meatCook on low for about three hours (or until meat is falling off bones)Use sieve to remove vegetables (discard bay leaves)Blend vegetables until smooth and return to liquid
Remove meat and pick from bones and return to stew (discard bones)Drain chickpeas and addServe with shredded cabbage, sliced radish, lime wedges and fresh coriander
Pozole Soup Recipe
- 700g Oxtail (feel free to use other cuts)
- 1 Onion
- 2 Celery sticks
- 3 Carrots
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2 Bay leves
- 2tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 1l Water (approx.)
- ¼ White cabbage
- 1 Lime
- 4 Radishes
- Salt & pepper
- Fresh coriander
- Heat a large pan over a high heat and add the vegetable oil until shimmering.
- Carefully add the oxtail, or whatever meat you’re using.
- Cook briefly on each side and get as much of the surface a nice dark brown.
- Remove the meat and set aside.
- Clean pan and place over medium heat.
- Add a little olive oil, along with the roughly diced celery, onion and carrots. Also add the bay leaves, Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste and a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Stir and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and meat to the slow cooker (if you don’t have a slow cooker, just use a large pan with a lid over a very low heat on the hob).
- Add water until the contents are submerged. Stir and set heat to low.
- Cook for about 3 hours, or until the meat is literally falling off the bone.
- Use a sieve to remove the vegetables and meat. Remove fat from the top of liquid with a spoon and discard.
- Pick meat from bones, breaking into small chunks and keep separate. Discard bones.
- Place vegetables in a blender (discard bay leaves) and blitz until smooth.
- Return blended vegetables and meat to liquid. Heat when ready to serve.
- Serve with shredded white cabbage, sliced radish, roughly chopped fresh coriander, wedges of lime to squeeze and a little salt & pepper.
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon
Have you tried this Pozole Soup recipe? If so we would love to hear how you got on.