Chicken and Chorizo Risotto
We‘d been meaning to try a chicken risotto recipe with our smoky chipotle paste for a while and we finally got around to it. It was certainly worth the wait. We wanted some big meaty flavours to stand up to the spice, and being big fans of paella, we went with chorizo and chicken thigh as a tried and tested combo. This risotto recipe would also work really well with leftover roast chicken (we’ve included instructions for this below).
As an appetiser for this chicken risotto you could try our Mexican Prawn Cocktail recipe.
Chicken and Chorizo Risotto Recipe
- 4 Chicken thighs (boned & sliced) or 300g Leftover roast chicken
- 7oz Chorizo (roughly chopped)
- 2tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 Celery stick (finely chopped)
- 1oz Butter
- 2tbsp Olive oil
- 14oz Risotto rice
- 1 Glass white wine
- 3.5oz Frozen peas
- 34fl oz chicken stock
- 7oz Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Salt & pepper
- Extra water (if necessary)
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley (to serve)
- Lemon wedges (to serve)
- Olive oil (to serve)
- Place a large pan on a medium heat and add the olive oil and butter.
- Sweat the celery and onion for 10mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste a good pinch of salt and pepper, and stir.
- Add the chicken, chorizo and garlic (if using leftover chicken, hold it back for the time being). Fry for about 15 mins.
- Add the risotto rice and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and keep frying for a few minutes to burn off the alcohol.
- Add a few ladle-fulls of the stock and keep stirring.
- As the rice absorbs the liquid, add more of the stock (by the ladle) and stir.
- Stir regularly and gradually add the remaining stock as it absorbs.
- If you've run out of stock before it's cooked, just add hot water instead.
- If using leftover chicken, add it now and stir through.
- Test rice and remove from heat once it's softened, but still retains a little bite. You're looking for a consistency that's not too wet. Adjust seasoning.
- Add a good handful of grated parmesan and the peas. Stir in.
- To serve, add a handful of chopped parsley, another sprinkle of parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with wedges of lemon.
Chop onion and celeryFry with butter until softenedAdd Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste, salt & pepperChop chicken thigh and chorizoAdd to pan with garlicStir and cook for ten minsAdd risotto rice and stirGradually add stock until absorbed and rice is softAdd parmesanAdd frozen peasre-season and stir
Serve with chopped parsley, more parmesan and a drizzle of olive oilServe with lemon wedges
Have you tried this Chicken And Chorizo Risotto recipe? If so please let us know how you got on.