Mexican Meatball Cottage Pie
Cottage pie is always a winner and it works just as well with meatballs. A beautiful rich gravy spiced up with our Smoked Chilli Paste and an extra hit of spice in the mashed potato with the addition of our Smoked Chilli Mayo makes this one for the chilli lovers.
If you like this, make sure you give our ever-popular Mexican Shepherd’s Pie recipe a go too!
Fry onion, carrot, celery and thyme in a little oil
Add Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste and tomato puree
Add red wine and beef stock
Cook potatoes and add Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Mayo, butter, milk salt & pepper
Brown meatballs in olive oil
Add meatballs to sauce
Cover with mashed potato
Texture with fork then add cheese and small pieces of butter
Bake the cottage pie in the oven then finish under grill
Meatball Cottage Pie Recipe
- 5fl oz Milk
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 11oz Minced beef
- 7oz Minced pork
- 1 Onion
- 1 Garlic clove
- 2tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 10ml Water
- 1 Handful parsley (finely chopped)
- 1tsp Dried oregano
- 3oz Pancetta/bacon lardons
- Salt & pepper
- Lug of Olive oil
- 2 Medium onions
- 2 Carrots
- 3 Celery sticks
- 1tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 2 Garlic cloves
- Small glass red wine
- 1tbsp Tomato puree
- 1 pint Beef stock
- Few sprigs of thyme
- 3lb 6oz Potatoes
- 1tbsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Mayo
- ¼ Stick Butter (plus extra for on top)
- Splash milk
- 4oz Cheddar cheese
- Firstly, combine the breadcrumbs with the milk and stir. Leave to soak in while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cook pancetta until cooked through. Place on a chopping board and chop finely before returning to the pan. Lower the heat.
- Add the onion and garlic to a food processor (alternatively just grate them).
- Add onion and garlic to the pancetta, along with oregano and Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste. Stir and cook for about 7-8 mins.
- Add a splash of water, stir and continue to cook until evaporated (5-6 mins). Leave to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the pancetta mixture with the soaked breadcrumbs, the minced beef and pork, parsley and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix well (with your hands preferably) and form into small balls (approx. 1inch in diameter). Pile on a plate and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
- In a frying pan over a medium heat, add a lug of olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion, celery, carrot and thyme. Stir and cook for 15 mins.
- Add the Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste, tomato puree and wine. Stir and cook for 5 mins.
- Add the beef stock, bring to the boil, then simmer for 30mins uncovered or until the gravy has thickened nicely.
- Meanwhile, make your mashed potatoes. Peel and slice into evenly sized chunks. Add to boiling salted water and cook until tender.
- Drain and add Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Mayo, butter, milk and a little salt & pepper.
- Mash and taste to check seasoning.
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- In a separate frying pan, fry the meatballs over a medium heat in a little olive oil until browned (they don't need to be cooked through completely).
- Add meatballs to an ovenproof dish and top with gravy, gently combining.
- Spread over the mashed potato. Texture with a fork and sprinkle over grated cheddar cheese.
- Add small knobs of butter to top and place in oven for 30mins. Finish by broiling to get it crispy.
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon