Meatball Cheese Slice
Deliciously smoky meatballs in puff pastry covered in gruyere cheese. This meatball cheese slice is best served hot so the cheese is all melty and gooey, but they work really well for picnics too.
If meatballs are your thing, check out some other exciting meatball recipe ideas.
Soak meatballs in milk
Fry and chop pancetta
Combine pancetta with Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste with onion and oregano
Mix spicy onions with breadcrumbs and minced meat
Roll into balls and refrigerate
Cant balls in half and arrange in middle of puff pastry squares
Brush with egg wash
Bake until golden and gooey
Meatball Cheese Slice Recipe
- 5fl oz Milk
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 11oz Minced beef
- 7oz Minced pork
- 1 Onion
- 1 Garlic clove
- 2tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 10ml Water
- 1 Handful parsley (finely chopped)
- 1tsp Dried oregano
- 3oz Pancetta/bacon lardons
- Salt & pepper
- Pack of puff pastry
- Sliced cheese (we used a mild Dutch cheese)
- 1 Egg
- Splash of milk
- Salt & pepper
- Firstly, combine the breadcrumbs with the milk and stir. Leave to soak in while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cook pancetta until cooked through. Place on a chopping board and chop finely before returning to the pan. Lower the heat.
- Add the onion and garlic to a food processor (alternatively just grate them).
- Add onion and garlic to the pancetta, along with oregano and Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste. Stir and cook for about 7-8 mins.
- Add a splash of water, stir and continue to cook until evaporated (5-6 mins). Leave to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the pancetta mixture with the soaked breadcrumbs, the minced beef and pork, parsley and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix well (with your hands preferably) and form into small balls (approx. 1inch in diameter). Pile on a plate and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 400C
- Remove from the fridge. Using a sharp knife, cut each ball in half.
- Lay out the puff pastry sheet and cut into 4 even squares (if you're working with a rectangle then make 4 squares as big as possible and make some cheese straws with the excess!)
- Lay the meatball halves diagonally along the middle of the pastry (see pics below), leaving 2 corners free to fold over.
- Lay 2 slices of cheese on top and sprinkle with a little black pepper.
- Fold over the spare corners and pinch together in the middle.
- Beat egg with a little milk and brush exposed pastry with a little egg wash.
- Sprinkle with a little more pepper and a little salt, Place on a parchment-lined baking tray and place in oven until puffed up and golden (about 15 minutes).
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon
Have you tried this Meatball Cheese Slice recipe? If so we would love to know how you got on.