We love hosting a Mexican food night at home and this easy chicken enchiladas recipe always goes down a treat with our friends.
Our Smoked Chilli Paste, made with heavily smoked Pasilla Oaxaca chillies from Mexico, is the perfect ingredient to give this dish the big bold flavour that it needs.
In this enchilada recipe we’ve used wheat tortilla’s but if you want to make the dish gluten free swap them out for corn ones
Give it a go and serve alongside a nice green salad and one of our other Mexican Dishes.
- 2¼ Ib Free-range chicken thighs
- 1 Lime
- Salt & Pepper
- Handful fresh cilantro
- 2tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 2 Shallots
- 1 Clove garlic
- Olive oil
- 2 x 14oz Chopped tomatoes
- ⅚ Wheat flour tortillas
- 12oz Strong cheddar cheese
- Salad leaves (to serve)
- Pre-heat the oven to 275F
- Empty the chicken into a roasting tray and squeeze the limes and throw in the spent skins. Add a generous lug of olive oil and some salt & pepper and mix well.
- Roast for an hour and a half covered in foil, or until the meat is falling off the bones and you can shred it with 2 forks.
- Meanwhile, make your tomato sauce. In a frying pan, gently fry the finely chopped shallot, garlic & coriander stalks, Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste, salt & pepper and some olive oil.
- Once the onion is nicely softened, add the chopped tomatoes and a splash of water and cook for about 45mins or until nicely thickened. Stir occasionally.
- Once happy with the sauce (adjust seasoning to taste), blend to a smooth consistency.
- Once the chicken is cooked and shredded (discard bones, but keep the crispy skin) stir through some roughly chopped coriander. Turn the oven up to 350F.
- If you want to maximise the flavour, heat a griddle pan and char the tortillas a little.
- For each tortilla, spread a spoonful of the sauce around it (keep about half of the sauce back for the top), then top with the shredded chicken, followed by a handful of grated cheese. Roll each one up and assemble in a rectangular oiled oven dish (see images).
- Pour over remaining sauce and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven uncovered until nicely golden on top (about 20mins). For an extra crispy top, grill it for a few minutes at the end (be careful not to burn it though!).
- Serve with a nice dressed crispy green salad and fresh tomatoes.
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon
Roast chicken with oilve oil, lime juice, salt & pepper
fry the finely chopped shallot, garlic & coriander stalks, Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste, salt & pepper and some olive oil.
add the chopped tomatoes and a splash of water. Cook for an hour and then blend together.
Shred chicken and stir through some coriander
char the tortillas a little
Top each with tomato sauce
Then top with the shredded chicken
Followed by a handful of grated cheese
Roll each one up and assemble in a rectangular oiled oven dish.
Top with tomato sauce
Top with cheese and bake in oven
For an extra crispy top, grill it for a few minutes at the end.
Serve with a nice dressed crispy green salad and fresh tomatoes.