Spicy Creole Chicken Casserole With Herby Mustard Dumplings
This dish is inspired by an excellent recipe by Gran Luchito fan, Tom Parker Bowles. We've given the dish a nice spicy kick with the addition of our Smoked Chilli Paste. Really delicious. If you're a fan of Chicken we highly recommend you check out our recipe for the Ultimate Chicken Burrito.
Spicy Creole Chicken Casserole Recipe
Ideal For: Chicken
For the casserole:
- 40g Butter
- 20g Plain flour
- 2 Onions (roughly chopped)
- 4 Tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- 1 Green pepper (roughly chopped)
- 2 Celery sticks (roughly chopped)
- 1 ltr Chicken stock
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 1kg Roasted chicken thighs/drumsticks,
- roughly chopped (roast whole with salt,
- pepper & a little olive oil, then discard bones)
- 1 Handful fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
- Salt & pepper
For the dumplings:
- 150g Plain flour
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- 1 tbsp Whole grain mustard
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- 50g Butter
- 4 tbsp Milk
- Fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
- Salt & pepper
- Make a roux by melting the butter in a frying pan and add the flour a spoonful at a time, whisking to a smooth consistency. Cook on a low temperature for about 20 mins, whisking continuously.
- Add the vegetables and stir. Cook until softened (about 10 mins), stirring continuously to avoid burning the roux. Add the Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste.
- Add the chicken stock, paprika and season well.
- Cook gently for about 25 minutes. Whilst that is cooking, make the dumplings.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a bowl. In another bowl, mix the eggs, butter (melted), parsley and milk.
- Combine the 2 and mix well.
- Flour a surface and your hands and make balls slightly larger than golf balls.
- Stir in the chicken to the stew, and then add the dumplings. Cook for about 10 mins.
- Serve in bowls with a sprinkling of parsley.
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon