Mexican Mac N Cheese
The ultimate comfort food just got more comfortable. For this recipe we bring you the Gran Luchito take on an old favourite: mac n cheese. By simply throwing chorizo and our version of a Mexican Chipotle Paste into the mix, this Mexican macaroni cheese is a delicious way to jazz up a classic.
Make A Cheesy Sauce With A Chipotle Kick
Mexican Mac n Cheese Recipe
- IIb 20z Dried macaroni
- 2z Butter
- 2 oz Flour
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 2 tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- 7 oz Chorizo
- 2 Ripe tomatoes
- 5 oz Grated mature cheddar cheese
- 3½ oz Grated parmesan
- Half a mozzarella ball (diced finely)
- 1ltr Full fat milk
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the macaroni. Boil for ten minutes and then drain. Now run your cooked macaroni under cold water. This brings the temperature down and stops the macaroni from over cooking. Put the macaroni to one side and drizzle with a little olive oil to prevent it sticking together. Add the butter into a large cast iron pot. On a medium heat melt the butter and then immediately remove from the heat.
- Add the flour and mix together until what looks like a dough ball is formed. Replace the pot on a low heat and stir the dough ball until it goes dark brown which will be roughly 2 minutes. This is an important step as it cooks the flour which will help thicken the sauce and also ensure your mac ‘n cheese doesn’t have a floury taste.
- Keeping a low heat, start to add the milk. At first add just a dash and stir it into the roux. The slower the better. Adding milk too quickly affect absorption and lead to a lumpy sauce!
- Once you’ve added a dash of milk, keep stirring. Don’t add any more until its all been soaked up.
- Keep stirring and adding milk. Once you’ve added all the milk the sauce should be thick and creamy as above.
- Add the grated cheese, mustard powder, and Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste.
- Stir it all in and then bit-by-bit, add the macaroni.
- Once it’s all stirred in, sprinkle grated cheese on top and add chunks of chorizo and tomato. Pop into an oven at 180c for 40 minutes.
- When the macaroni comes out the oven it should be a delicious looking golden brown.
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon
So there it is, Mexican Mac N Cheese, an old school favourite with a fresh Mexican twist. The smoky spice of Gran Luchito works incredibly well here, as it does with pretty much all cheese dishes.
Have you tried this Mexican Mac n Cheese recipe? If so please let us know how you got on.