The first time I ever tried Queso Fundido was when visiting my brother in Philadelphia. We went to the amazing El Vez Mexican restaurant and ordered the Queso Fundido twice it was so good.
Since then I’ve had the opportunity to try Queso Fundido in Mexico where it can come in many different forms. My personal favourite is with Chorizo and of course a little chilli using our Smoked Chilli Paste.
It’s traditionally served with soft corn tortillas, but we’ve subbed in Manomasa’s awesome Cantina tortilla chips.
If you are a big fan of cheese you can try using different hard cheese in the mix.
This rich cheesy dish is perfect to dip into whilst watching a film, or works perfectly as a little starter. Queso fundido is a winner whenever you serve it.
We’ve also cooked up a Mexican Meatball Queso Fundido
Queso Fundido Recipe
- 3 Spring onions
- 2 oz Chorizo
- 1 Ripe tomato
- Handful fresh oregano (cilantro works well too!)
- Splash of lager/white wine/sherry
- 3½ oz Cheddar cheese (grated)
- 5 oz Gruyere cheese (grated)
- Olive oil
- 1tsp Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste
- Juice of half a lime
- Tortillas chips/soft corn tortillas
- Chop up the white parts of the scallions and get them frying over a medium heat for a few minutes (take care not to burn them).
- Add the chopped up chorizo (hold a small amount back to sprinkle over at the end) and cook for a further 5 minutes until it's cooked.
- Add the Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste and stir well.
- Remove the mixture to a bowl. Return the pan to the heat and add the alcohol and deglaze the pan, stirring to remove the bits of chorizo & onion that have stuck.
- After a minute, gradually add the cheeses 1 small handful at a time. Continue to stir until the cheese melts then add another.
- Once all the cheese is added and melted, stir in the chorizo mixture. Leave over a low heat.
- Cut the tomato into small pieces and combine in a bowl with the finely chopped oregano/cilantro, along with the roughly chopped green bits of the scallions, a lug of olive oil and a squeeze of lime juice.
- When ready to serve, pour the salsa over the cheese mixture. Serve with tortilla chips, whole tortillas, raw vegetables or all of the above.
- Fry the held back chorizo and sprinkle over when crispy.
In the UNITED STATES Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Paste Is Available online with Amazon